Obtaining a real estate license in Texas is a great way to enter into the exciting world of real estate. Whether you want to become a real estate agent or run your own real estate brokerage, getting licensed in Texas is a great way to start. In order to obtain a real estate license in Texas, there are a few key steps you must follow. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to obtain a real estate license in Texas:
1. Meet the eligibility requirements: To be eligible to obtain a real estate license in Texas, you must be at least 18 years of age, be a legal US resident or citizen, and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
2. Complete the required pre-licensing education: The Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) requires all applicants to complete 180 classroom hours of approved pre-licensing education. This education can be completed through an approved real estate school or online.
3. Pass the state licensing exam: After completing the required pre-licensing education, you must pass the state licensing exam with a score of at least 70%. The exam is administered by Pearson VUE and consists of two parts: the national portion and the state portion.
4. Submit fingerprints for a background check: After passing the exam, you must submit fingerprints for a background check. This can be done at a local fingerprinting location or through a vendor approved by the TREC.
5. Apply for your license: Once you have passed the exam and completed the background check, you can apply for your license through the TREC. You will need to provide proof of completing the required education, passing the exam, and your fingerprint results.
6. Obtain sponsorship: In Texas, you must be sponsored by a licensed real estate broker in order to work as a real estate agent. You can obtain sponsorship from a broker before or after submitting your license application.
7. Complete a post-licensing education: After obtaining your license, you must complete an additional 90 hours of post-licensing education within the first year of licensure. This education can be completed through an approved real estate school or online.
By following these steps, you can obtain a real estate license in Texas and start your career in the exciting world of real estate. With hard work and dedication, you can become a successful real estate agent or broker in this dynamic industry.